[rollei_list] Re: Digital Ciba{Ilfo)chrome

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:10:50 -0500

What type of paper is digital Cibachrome, matt or glossy?

Doug Nygren

On Dec 23, 2005, at 1:42 PM, Jim Brick wrote:

Digital Cibachrome is simply regular Cibachrome polyester paper (a large roll) in a printer like a LightJet, Chimera, or Durst Lamda printer. This is basically the only way you can make very large prints. A LightJet can print up to 50"x96". The XL version can print up to 75"x120". Attached to the LightJet is a roller transport Cibachrome processor running the p3X or P3XL process. My local LightJet printer uses Fuji Crystal Archive paper. It has a Kreonite roller transport processor bolted to it running the RA4 process.

A LightJet printer requires that your film be scanned (I use the lab's drum scanner) and the digital file is sent to the LightJet where three (red, green, blue) lasers expose the paper. The exposure is continuous tone rather than raster dots like an ink jet printer. It is a completely photographic process, photographic paper and process, the only difference is instead of a light source, transparency, and lens exposing the paper, it is lasers. A Chimera printer (ZBE) uses diodes for paper exposure.

You can scan transparencies, color neg, B&W neg, or flat art, and send the digital file it to a LightJet or Chimera. Obviously you can Photoshop it on the way.

The largest prints that I can print in my darkroom is 20x24. I have printed larger prints but it is really difficult and any mistake is very costly. A sheet o Ciba polyester 20x24 paper is roughly $10. So even at 20x24, mistakes are costly.

In my gallery (I have a very large entry way in my home) I have a lot of 20x24 & smaller (smaller printed from 35mm) Cibachrome prints. I also have a 48x60, 48x48, and several 30x40 prints, which are LightJet prints since I cannot print these large sizes in my darkroom.

So digital Cibachrome is simply a way to make large prints. But once a piece of film is digitized (always scan to make the largest size print possible - 200mb-300mb files) you can have the LightJet printer make any size print from business card size up to 50"x96".

There is a noticeable difference between an optical enlarger Cibachrome and a LightJet Fuji Crystal Archive print. But you can see it only if you put them side by side. They are both super on their own. I have several 30x40 Cibas and the same print as 30x40 LightJet RA4 prints. I sell the LightJet prints as they are outstanding and easy to make. Just give the lab the CD. 30x40 Cibas (for me) are very difficult to make.

http://tinyurl.com/c97bm

:-)

Jim

At 04:43 AM 12/23/2005, Douglas Nygren wrote:
Isn't that ironic. Digital images printed as Cibachromes. Glad to hear about that, it may mean that we'll keep that wonderful product.

and isn't it interesting that digital is being printed using an older technology, if I understand that correctly.

I have a friend who scans film, edits it with photoshop, then prints his edited work to a disk and sends it off to have negatives made from which he contact prints.

While many people marvel at digital photography, I find it interesting how people play with it, how they go beyond its usual use and create new processes. It's interesting to see how old and new mix. Some people take photophotos and then paint protraits from them--a mix of old and new.

The sad thing is to see the wide variety of the old products disappear, for example Kodak black and white paper.

Have a good day, Doug

--- Rollei List

--- Rollei List