[rollei_list] Re: "Advantage of 4x5 over medium format" (was: Austin has Unsubscribed)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:38:15 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Somberg" <jimsberg_04@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 11:14 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: "Advantage of 4x5 over medium
format" (was: Austin has Unsubscribed)

> And make certain it has the Graflok back so you can use
> the readily available 120 roll film backs.
   The Graflok has other advantages: Grafmatic backs are
really too thick for a standard Graphic spring back and tend
to pull out when changing films. The Graflok accepts the
thickness and the locks will hold the Grafmatic in place.
This is also true of Polaroid adaptors, they are thin enough
to fit any spring back but also tend to pull out without the
lock on the Graflok. In addition, the Graflok has a field
lens built in and a removable hood/cover. Graflok backs can
be fitted to virtually any Speed Graphic or Graflex.
   Graflex SLR's use a different back from Speed/Crown
Graphics, Graphic holders will not work and Graflex holders
are very hard to find. My 4x5 Super-D Graflex is fitted with
a Graflok so I can use standard holders in it. I have
occasionally also used the Graflex with a roll film adaptor.
Usually with a Calumet which takes 6x7cm frames. the 190mm
lens on the Graflex is just about right for portrait work
with this adaptor. I made a finder mask of print mounting
board. It has to be matched to the frame of the roll holder.
I put some ground glass in the roll holder gate and marked
the reflex finder to match. Actually a grease pencil works
OK for frame lines. This holder also benifits from the lock
strips on the Graflok back because it sticks way out on one
side and that, combined with its weight, gives it a tendency
to pull back slightly resulting in fog and out of focus
pictures. A RB-67 is a better choice for this sort of work
but the Graflex will work.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA