[rollei_list] Re: "Advantage of 4x5 over medium format" (was: Austin has Unsubscribed)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:37:34 -0400

On Tuesday, April 19, 2005, at 01:42  PM, Thor Legvold wrote:

> Ardishir & co (esp. Bob, Richard, Jim had he still been here...)
>
> assuming one was in the market for a "user" 4x5 * Graphic, what
> model/version would one be looking for? I know nothing about those
> cameras, but you've piqued my interest. I see that they often show up
> on eBay, although I have no idea of price. I don't have a darkroom for
> prints, but developing negatives isn't a problem.
>
> I have no plans (nor money) to buy anything now, but would like to
> know more. I can archive the thread for when I'm ready to pick
> something up :-)
>
> Thor

Hi Thor,

Richard K. will have the best advice, I think (as usual!) - but for
what it's worth, I personally prefer the Speed Graphic to all other
models (Crown, etc.). It's heavier, yes, but it offers a (gasp!)
1/1,000 sec. shutter! For 4x5 format the engineering of such a device
is amazing. It's a pleasure just to click the shutter for the sheer fun
of it.

There are two models that I personally would pick above all others:

(1) the old Anniversary Speed Graphic, with wood lens board, like mine,
especially if you can get a "light sabre"* flash battery holder
attached to the Kalart rangefinder (as I have). See
<http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/anniversary-graphic.html>. It is
a conversation piece like no other, especially when shooting hand-held.
It does best, IMHO, with the 5-inch (127mm) f/4.7 Ektar (cheap!) plus
an 8-inch (203mm) f/7.7 Ektar (sharrrrrrp!!!)

(2) The last of the line, the Super Speed Graphic (see
<http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/super-graphic.html>). I have
never used one, but it has pretty much all the bells and whistles
anyone using 4x5 can possibly need! Absolutely fantabulous. At least in
my opinion. Any lens for 4x5 will work with it.

Cheers.

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir>