[rodgersorgan] Re: Organs & Praise Bands -

  • From: Ralph Cullen <rcullen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:34:18 +1200

This subject is very topical, but also controversial and discussions on it
seem to carry the risk of becoming very heated!

However, I for one am exploring the issues here with great interest and
concern, and it would be so good if we could find some clear definitions
that will rescue the church on the one hand, from "heresy" while enabling
variety and the constant stream of contemporary (read "new") (Bach was once
contemporary) music to continue.

Maybe the real problem is the lack of interest and concern over doctrine,
that is causing this aberration in church music. Current trends in Pop
Theology, influenced strongly by the "me" culture, has tended to see a rise
of humanism in the guise of genuine Christianity. I think the confusion
this creates in churches with weak or liberal theology can allow an influx
of music that sounds and looks acceptable, and many will say "What's wrong
with it? Isn't Jesus interested in making me "feel good"? This strongly
narcissistic trend, which is very evident in the world, should not be found
in the church. It is a basic contradiction to the gospel. However, this
trend began not with Willow Creek, or Hillsong or Maranatha Music, but can
be traced back to the late 19th Century when The "We" gave way to the
"Me".  Compare any 18th Century Hymn of worth - even Wesley's.. EG "Fix in
US They humble dwelling..." with a typical Fanny Crosby offering...
"Blessed Assurance Jesus is MINE"

Another factor strongly influencing the use of "bands" is the concept that
music in church should "attract the unchurched". As one writer has put it
"Who listens to organ music on the radio? Why should we use it in church?"
In other words, "What is the most familiar music in the world"? Answer:
Rock music. So (the logic goes) Lets have THAT in the church so that "the
world" feels at home. (another contradiction) The problem is though, that
Rock music is not just a musical style, but also carries with it a
LIFESTYLE that is hard to separate from the music. That lifestyle is one of
the exalted ego and the performer. As one Minster pointed out to me when we
were discussing this very issue.. "The world doesn't sing! They listen to a
performance" So basically what is happening in churches with bands, is the
tendency to listen more and sing less, while creating "Stars" who find
themselves before the people as leaders in the church with unproven
ministry gifts or theological training, and in so being, influence the
direction of whole churches and movements almost outside of the oversight
of the ordained ministry. The lack of singing that results from this
"performance mode" is being covered up with huge sound systems that amplify
one or two singers beyond the power even of a large choir. Couple this with
dead acoustics so common in churches built from the 60's through the 80's,
and you have a recipe for a silent, non involved congregation.

The bottom line for we organists is that we minister on an instrument that
has the ability to lead, blend, interpret music and support congregations
in singing better than any other. Music that sits well with the organ is
also music that is easy for congregations to sing. Much "contemporary
music" requires a strong beat and peculiar timing to sound any good. Strip
away the support and a lot (not all) contemporary music is revealed for
what it is. Banal. On the other hand, sing a simple melody of a classic
hymn tune in live acoustics unaccompanied, and wow! wonderful.
I have a heap more to add on this subject, but I will stop here in case
there are others who wish to add further at this stage.
Ralph Cullen
Rodgers Organs New Zealand.

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com