[rodgersorgan] Re: Commotion in the organ loft

  • From: "Noel Heinze" <noel.heinze@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 06:41:52 -0400

Forgive me if I offend some of you...if you're not part of the solution in
this case, you're part of the problem...if you tolerate being a victim, you
become an accomplice.  Who's parking whose car on whose front lawn?
Integrity in music vs. providing accompaniment to idle chit-chat?  If you
think it's the only restaurant in town, so to speak, and you'd rather
continue to eat there in spite of the bad food, surly waiters, sadistic
cook, etc., that's your choice...and I don't want to hear about "the
culture" or any other rationalization.

I was organist/choir director at a church that had ceiling fans...they were
noisy...I took to shutting them off every Sunday during the anthem...then
one day I turned to the congregation and asked "How much longer are we going
to put up with this?"  Lordy, you can imagine the ruffled feathers...I got
nasty letters from assorted vestry members and other "pillars of the
church"...I spent sleepless nights plotting solutions, imagining wild
battles (from which I would emerge triumphant, of course)...I finally
concluded that with friends like that, I didn't need enemies, so I resigned.
For whatever reasons, I was not replaced...no more organ, no choir...and I'm
told the ceiling fans are still grinding away.

Noel Heinze, Asheville, NC
St. Giles Chapel, Deerfield Episcopal Retirement Community
Rodgers 835B and PR300S

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com