[rodgersorgan] Re: Commotion in the organ loft

  • From: PlnPian88@xxxxxx
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 21:28:27 EDT

Greetings Everyone:
I have been following the "commotion" thread and thought I would share with
you my current church's solution to this problem. I was recently appointed
organist at St. Matthew's UMC in Acton, MA where we have an excellent
25-voice choir, an accomplished diector and, of course, little old me at the
Rodgers 950. (I was serving at a much smaller church just prior to this
appointment where there was a Rodgers Trillium 805. I miss some of the
ambience and MIDI features of the Trillium, but the three manuals and 32 foot
Bombarde sort of make up for them.)
St. Matthew's has built the Prelude and Postlude into the service proper by
scheduling the Prelude immediately after the opening greeting and
announcements. The congregation is asked to be seated for the Postlude
immediately following the benediction. They actually enjoy listening! What is
even more fulfilling for me is that I often receive applause after the
Postlude. They are an appreciative group.
Perhaps some of you can urge a change in the order of worship at your
churches to try an arrangement like this. Be aware that it can be a good news
/ bad news proposition. In my case the console is down front with the
organist facing the congregation and during the Prel, Offertory and Post all
eyes and ears are on me! Makes me practice a little more carefully.
Just thought I'd share a little good news after reading some of your
difficulties with noise and commotion. I've been there. too!

Best regards<
Ken Plant

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com