[rodgersorgan] Re: Commotion in the organ loft

  • From: "F. Richard Burt" <effarbee.aaa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 09:15:43 -0500

Hello, Amos, et al:

Thank you for your experiences in Hong Kong.  We who live in
our western traditions often forget that "church" in other
parts of the world may be quite normal for you while being
uncomfortably different for us.

You wrote:

> My ideal service is that. It should be silence at less
> 15 mins before the service.  We perpare our spirit to
> welcome God and worship God.  When the organ prelude play,
> the glory of the God fills the church.

At least some who lived long before us thought that the
true church lived in the gothic cathedral and the organ was
the heart and soul of the cathedral.  We won't debate the
theological implications of that, but it speaks to what you
express as to why you attended church, ...and how much the
organ music blesses you.

> When the organ prelude play,the glory of the God fills the
> church.When the service come to the end,we must sit quite
> and concetrate,hear the postlude because the God's glory
> leave the church.

You have expressed the old feelings about the church and the
organ very well.

Attending worship with your Christian family and friends to
"meet God and worship Him" is easily confused with meeting
your Christian family and friends for fellowship.  The confusion
about which we have been writing for the past week seems to be
as common as the expressed reasons for coming for worship;
except we express our human emotions when we talk with our
family and friends, ...perhaps too loudly.

This problem has been with us ever since Jesus ascended back
to Heaven, and it probably will not go away.  Some churches
approach reverence better than others, and some may meet in
silent reverence without even having an organ to set the mood.

Personally, I love the organ prelude, but it was not common
practice in many churches until about 300 to 400 years ago.

F. Richard Burt

.
New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com