[rodgersorgan] Re: Baptist and Pipe Organs

  • From: Ralph Cullen <rcullen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:30:18 +1200

I read recently that Spurgeon refused an organ, or any instrument in the
Metropolitan Tabernacle. I understand that his reasons were, that people
may be tempted to adulate the aesthetics of the instrument or the skill of
the player, rather than worship the beauty of holiness of the Lord.
In later years an organ was introduced, but I believe the healthy attitude
remains. I also discovered in my work, here, one or two Methodist and
Presbyterian churches who moved their organs from the front of the church
to the side, to remove that potential idolatry.
It is a funny thing (peculiar, not hilarious, note) that many churches have
completely disregarded this caution with contemporary music. The "band" is
hardly ever on the side or at the back of the church. Interesting isn't it.?
These discussions of the use of an attitude to the organ are most
interesting and helpful.
I have one customer who is so convinced the organ is for everyone, that the
roll top doesn't even get pulled down , let alone locked. Rodgers of course.!

Ralph
Rodgers Organs New Zealand.

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com