[rodgersorgan] Baptist and Pipe Organs

  • From: "Randall J. Smith" <randallsmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 23:26:06 -0400

I have noticed that Baptist (I am a former Baptist)  do like to "Hide" their
pipes.   I wonder why?

A local Baptist church installed a new organ in 1981, all hidden!  It's
twenty-something ranks and the former organist was VERY VERY possessive of the
instrument!   She did not even like for anyone to LOOK at the console!   I did
not even get to play the wretched organ until I was in the town many years.
When I did get to play it, I thought "whoop-to-do!"  What's so GREAT about
this?!   She is now gone and the church has had a very hard time finding and
keeping organists.  Had only she SHARED the instrument and wanted people to
play it!

I am reminded of a story a former Minister of Music told me about an "uptown
rural church" with a pipe organ.  The organist, Mildred, was very possessive of
the organ.  She had the ONLY key to the console.   Is she was ever sick and
could not play, Mary, her assistant, would have to go to Mildred's house on
Sunday, borrow the key, and then return the key right after the Sunday morning
service!
Mildred became ill and died, leaving Mary as organist.  A few years later, Mary
also died.   Everyone in the congregation knew how possessive the women were of
the organ.  At Mary's funeral, the pastor got up and said, "I can imagine the
conversation in Heaven today.  Mildred sees Mary and says "What are you doing
up here?"   Well, Mildred, I've died!"
  Mildred: What in the world did you do with the organ key?????   Mary:  "What
do you mean ' what did I do with the key'?   I BROUGHT IT WITH ME, Of Course!"

They said the congregation fell out with laughter!  Sadly, a few years later
the sanctuary burned, along with the organ.
I was replaced with a Wicks.

Randall Smith
West Point, GA

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com