[roc-chat] Re: ROC News and Requests

  • From: Richard Dierking <richard.dierking@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 11:09:17 -0700

Mike you should run for the Board.  Just the fact that you care enough to
take the time to consider what's going on and post are enough
qualifications, I think.  Well, you also have to be a ROC Executive member.

Regarding combining the events, I wasn't on the Board at the time ROCtober
started, but I happened to be there with Dok and Erik when the notion was
hatched.  They were *very* happy when I accepted the position of ROCtober
chair because even then, there was lots for the Board to do.  Although the
reasons for a special youth group launch and the ROCtober event are
admirable, we should also consider some realities.  Please keep in mind
that we're just people chatting about this, and this is my 2 cents.

With the downturn in the economy, ROC like many other clubs has seen a
decrease in membership and participation.  This means doing the same or in
some cases more (for example, meeting new BLM requirements) with less
people.  Perhaps when ROC gets more participation we could consider more
large events.  It takes a minimum number of people to set-up, safely run,
and pack up after a large launch and we're stretching this thin.

I have been to every ROCtober and November ROCstock for the last five
years.  The weather is better in October.

Some members have been nice enough to fly their large projects for the kids
at ROCtober, but for many members, it's difficult to support two large
events that are only one month apart.  So, instead of one event that does
very well, recently we've had two that don't do very well.  Do you know
what I mean?

Many Scout leaders have indicated to me that although they think ROCtober
is great, their troop wants to go to ROCstock to see all the rockets and
big projects.  Trying to funnel them off to a smaller launch to make it
easier for us to fly big rockets is not a good thing to do.

Hold one large launch in the fall will mean more traffic, but there will be
more people to help.  I think the busy times are also fun times.

I'm personally asking for all the Executive members to consider running for
the 3 positions on the Board and offer their thoughts on these matters.

Thank you!
Richard Dierking