[roc-chat] Re: ROC News and Requests

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:20:55 -0700

On 6/20/2012 7:43 AM, Gregory Lyzenga wrote:

Proposal to Move the Fall ROC-Stock Launch
For the last couple of years, October and November have seen consecutive large launches in the form of the ROCtober youth launch and the November ROC-Stock. This schedule has proven difficult for the club to adequately handle and staff, and has had a role in contributing to the club's financial stress and volunteer fatigue. On top of this, there is widespread feeling that the weather in November is less reliably favorable than it is in October and that November is uncomfortably close to the busy holiday season. For these reasons, the board is proposing to consolidate ROCtober and ROC-Stock into a single Friday-Sunday event in the second weekend of October. With such a significant proposed change to the launch calendar, the board does not want to act without input from the membership. We would like to solicit pro and con comments on this idea so that the board can weigh the proposal and vote on it next month. Please feel free to email us your thoughts on this plan.

Thoughts off the top of my head:

Yes, two major launches in a row is a big deal. I've wondered myself how long it would be able to continue...

In November, ROCstock 'generally' falls on the Veteran's Day weekend, sometimes allowing folks with that as a holiday to reduce their 'fatigue' since they have Wednesday off. This is not an argument for/against, merely an observation.

Yes, November typically has higher winds than most other months of the year -- however, I don't honestly remember how often ROCstock has been windier than ROCtober...

If the November launch is made back into a 'normal' launch, will the new event be ROCStock, or ROCtober? My own personal preference would be ROCtober -- as then when we talk about ROCStock everyone will recognize that it is the big June launch, and everyone will know that ROCtober does NOT take place during February...

If the two launches are 'consolidated', this would (to my mind) lead to two 'different' purposes for the October launch -- first, it is a major 'ROCStock' level launch, with lots of folks who want to fly their big rockets. Second, ROCtober has tended to be more 'youth group' oriented. I seem to recall that (at least for the first ROCtober?) that club members were discouraged from flying on Sunday, in order to allow the youth groups to take priority. I think that policy went by the wayside rather rapidly, but if the two events are combined, will there be any changes required to the structure of the launch to support both of these objectives?

That's it for now -- if I think of anything else, I'll pop back in...

David Erbas-White