[roc-chat] Re: ROC News and Requests

  • From: rtd@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 11:06:27 -0700

On 2012-06-20 10:18, Michael Klett wrote:

First, regarding self nominations.  Over the years the board has done
a fantastic job.  I might consider it but I'm still a newbie and I'd
be afraid of messing it up. The standards to be a member of the board
seem incredibly high.

Michael,

I appreciate the kudos, as I'm sure the rest of the board does, as well.

However, the standards to be a member of the board are actually pretty simple, and easy to meet, even for "newbies":

1) Be a ROC member eligible to vote in ROC elections. This includes ROC Executive (aka paid annual) Members, ROC Lifetime Members (we have a few), and ROC Board Members.

2) Be willing to show up to most ROC events, and to dedicate a couple hours a month to participating in a Board meeting conference call via Skype.

3) Be willing to put some thought and effort into the needs of the club and its members, and how we can best support them while pursuing our educational and scientific mission as a non-profit charitable organization.

We have an internal ROC-Board mailing list, and a Dropbox account. Most of our activities and discussions as a board take place through email, and don't take too much time on a daily or weekly basis.

In short, aside from the eligibility requirement, all of the rest boils down simply to being willing to help out, and the time commitment isn't too burdensome. There's no entrance exam, and there are no real prerequisites, besides membership.

We have offset terms of office specifically to make it as easy as possible for new people to join the board without being overwhelmed -- at any given time, at least two-thirds of the board is not "new", and can help the newcomers get up to speed.

In addition to the undying thanks and moral support of our members, ROC Board Members do get one financial "perk": You don't need to pay for your ROC membership while you're on the board, so it saves you $60 every year.

So, I do strongly encourage anyone who's interested to self-nominate. We can always use new ideas and new perspectives to help us make the best decisions possible for ROC.

Thanks,

 - Rick Dickinson