[roc-chat] Re: Paper tube refinishing question

  • From: Jack Garibaldi <jackgaribaldi@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 11:26:05 -0800

Park

               I know you probably don’t want to dive into fiber glassing but
the Biaxial sleeves are pretty easy to slide over tubes and wet out.

http://www.solarcomposites.com/composites/compositehybrid.html#coloredfiberglass

Jack

From: Park Warne  <mailto:wpwarne@xxxxxxxxx> <wpwarne@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [roc-chat] Paper tube refinishing question
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, December 14, 2012, 9:41 AM

Hi all!

I am in the process of sanding/stripping my DX3 (paper tubes) and got a little
"enthusiastic" in some spots.  In those spots the outer paper surface seems to
be shredding, almost like the extreme outer layer of the tube is peeling off
(looks a little like white glue peeling off, but there is no glue there).

My question is does anyone have any ideas on how to get a clean, smooth surface
for painting on a tube with this type of defect?  The two ideas I have at this
point are:

1. Build up the surface gently and thoroughly with automotive hi-build primer
and sand, sand, sand

2. Apply a light coat of diluted wood filler (almost like a plaster skim coat
on a wall) and sand until smooth

I do want to try and minimize weight and maximize durability, but I'm at a bit
of a loss on this one.

Thanks in advance, and have a happy holidays!

Park Warne

NAR 94438 - L1

--
Sent using the electronic equivalent of finger paint. Please excuse my brevity
and misteaks.