[roc-chat] Paper tube refinishing question

  • From: Park Warne <wpwarne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:41:29 -0800

Hi all!

I am in the process of sanding/stripping my DX3 (paper tubes) and got a
little "enthusiastic" in some spots.  In those spots the outer paper
surface seems to be shredding, almost like the extreme outer layer of the
tube is peeling off (looks a little like white glue peeling off, but there
is no glue there).

My question is does anyone have any ideas on how to get a clean, smooth
surface for painting on a tube with this type of defect?  The two ideas I
have at this point are:

1. Build up the surface gently and thoroughly with automotive hi-build
primer and sand, sand, sand
2. Apply a light coat of diluted wood filler (almost like a plaster skim
coat on a wall) and sand until smooth

I do want to try and minimize weight and maximize durability, but I'm at a
bit of a loss on this one.

Thanks in advance, and have a happy holidays!

Park Warne
NAR 94438 - L1