[roc-chat] Re: Nike-Smoke

  • From: R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:52:53 -0700

Excellent video John.  Really helpful procedure and tips on glassing using the
FoodSaver.

Richard

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 20:51:12 -0700
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Nike-Smoke
From: john@xxxxxxxx
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

No, it shouldn't.  I'll have to bug my ISP!
Here's a link to watch it on YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDPEKUWkEN0

Sorry about that,John

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 8:33 PM, R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John:

Does it usually take awhile for the video?  Videos usually load fairly quickly
on my computer.

Richard

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 09:21:47 -0700

From: john@xxxxxxxx
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

By the way, if anyone wants to turn flat fins into one with a prototypical
cross-section, I made a video on how I do it.
http://jcrocket.com/nike-custom-fin.shtml

John

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Jeff Gortatowsky <indanapt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The Nose cone is FG. The fins are FG shells with what looked like hard foam
filling. For $150 bucks, it seems like a good value. I'll know more once the
build starts. (And even MORE once it flies and the fins stay on!). IIRC the
Madcow version was just beveled plate.

I am using my now proven/comfortable method of mounting the
 altimeter in the nose and venting it near the bottom of the nose cone coupler
(several inches below the top of the body tube). So it'll use a cable cutter.

 ---------------------------------------
Jeff Gortatowsky, Redondo Beach, CA | Twitter: JeffGortatowsky | Yahoo:
indanapt
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jeffgortatowsky

Blog @ http://skepticalastronomer.wordpress.com

"(Scientific) Skepticism is not a set of beliefs, it is a set of methods for
asking questions about reality." -- Doctor Steven Novella

   On Sunday, March 23, 2014 12:46 PM, John Coker <john@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
    For the Rocketry Warehouse kit, what are the fins molded from?  Is the nose
cone fiberglass or plastic?

JohnOn Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Jeff Gortatowsky <indanapt@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Rocketry Warehouse. Neat molded fins. 54mm. I wanted to complete my RW Formula
XX series rockets down the low end. I have the Formula 98, 75 (Super value),
and now the 54 and 38. So I add the Nike in for giggles. Figured if I am gonna
participate in the Nike thing, I better get going. Four inch seemed about right
for  transport.

---------------------------------------Jeff Gortatowsky, Redondo Beach, CA |
Twitter: JeffGortatowsky | Yahoo: indanapt "(Scientific) Skepticism is not a
set of beliefs, it is a set of methods for asking questions about reality." --
Doctor Steven Novella

   On Sunday, March 23, 2014 2:54 AM, R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

What manufacturer and motor mount Jeff?I have a Polecat 5.5" Nike Smoke nose
and all the other supplies to build but haven't had any time.

RichardSent from my iPadOn Mar 22, 2014, at 11:53 AM, "Jeff Gortatowsky"

My 4 inch Nike-Smoke arrived.  Ready to get building...