[roc-chat] Re: Launch site.

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 19:08:00 -0700

On 5/9/2012 3:19 PM, Chris J Kobel wrote:

I don't know what the setup schedule is going to be like this year for ROCstock, but 'typically' we've done the striping on the Tuesday prior to the event.

HOWEVER, this year that happens to be occurring at exactly the same time as the Venus transit (which won't happen again for 104 years, so I'll likely miss the next one). I will very likely be busy viewing, and attempting to photograph, the transit, so I don't know how much help I can be. On the other hand, it may turn out that viewing from Lucerne Dry Lake ends up being my optimum viewing area, so IF I can get my solar telescope and camera set up, I'll probably be able to help out to some extent (and obviously would be able to help on Wednesday). On the gripping hand, for those who would like to help out, if Tuesday DOES end up being the 'striping/starting' day, then perhaps that would provide additional incentive for others to come out and view the Venus transit through solar-protected telescopes, as well...

I'm not sure how many scopes I will be having/using -- I currently have a mid-to-high end solar scope, and a low-to-lower-mid end solar scope that I might be selling prior to the upcoming eclipse, as well as an additional 'normal' mid-end scope that I have a solar filter for (this would be termed a 'white light' scope/filter combination, which is perfectly fine for viewing the transit, but not so useful if you're looking for solar flares...

If any folks (regardless of stripeousity of the desert) want to or plan to view the transit, feel free to contact me.

Side note -- I'll be doing a 'gumball' run on May 20th to St. George, UT to view the annular eclipse - which will serve as a good practice run for viewing/photographing the transit...

David Erbas-White

If it's too soon for the BOD to respond, I understand. As a usual part of the Walquist-Erbas-White ROCstock surveying crew, I'm just looking ahead and trying to visualize how we are going to stripe up the lakebed come June. In the meantime, just getting a little healthy exercise for my 1st amendment rights (not easy to do these days!)