[roc-chat] Re: Launch site.

  • From: Chris J Kobel <Chris.J.Kobel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 15:19:59 -0700

First of all, let me say how thankful I am for our amazing BOD, who have
worked their fannies off to preserve our launch site, to enhance our
equipment, and to greatly promote our opportunities to enjoy our hobby. If
you don't know who they are check out  http://rocstock.org/contact-us/ and
be sure to thank them in person next time you see them.

That said, let me say I usually dislike change, especially these days,
when things typically get worse.  However, sometimes change is good or
unavoidable, and we adapt and move on.
I'm sure the BOD is already all over this and if this discussion is
premature, please forgive me.

 the range will be moved about 1000 feet south of its traditional
location.

I assume this is because where we've been launching is actually private
land.  Shifting 1000' to the south would put us on Public Land.  No
worries there, it's a big lakebed.
My main concern is that the primary access road onto the lakebed will lead
people right into the middle of the range.

I guess my question is:  will people use the same road on to the lakebed
and turn south earlier or will we establish a lake bed entrance further
south or will we flip the range around somehow?  I don't think
we can create "new" roads on the lakebed.

If it's too soon for the BOD to respond, I understand.  As a usual part of
the Walquist-Erbas-White ROCstock surveying crew, I'm just looking ahead
and trying to visualize how we are going to stripe up the lakebed come
June.
In the meantime, just getting a little healthy exercise for my 1st
amendment rights (not easy to do these days!)

Go ROC (and ROC board!)

Chris

From:   Gregory Lyzenga <lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Date:   05/08/2012 11:20 PM
Subject:        [roc-chat] Re: Launch site.
Sent by:        roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On May 8, 2012, at 10:52 PM, Ken Curran wrote:

In a recent message from Greg, he mentioned relocating the launch site.
Anyone care to expand on that?  Also our permit is only good until
September?

First question:   In order to put all our pads on BLM land, the range will
be moved about 1000 feet south of its traditional location.  Thanks to
some good scouting work by Richard Dierking, this should involve minimal
inconvenience to arriving vehicles, but we'll have to "train" folks to
drive in and set up camp in a new pattern.

Second question:  Our first permit was good through the 2012 fiscal year,
i.e. through September.  But the latest word from Allen is that our
follow-on permits have now been approved and we are good to go until 2017,
as long as we remember to pay the bills and file the reports.  Yee haw!
Let's fly some rockets!

                    - Greg

Gregory A. Lyzenga  <lyzenga@xxxxxxx>           ***     (909) 621-8378
Dept. of Physics, Harvey Mudd College           *** cell(626) 808-5314
Claremont, CA 91711-5990                        *** fax (909) 621-8887
<http://tinyurl.com/LyzengaPhysics>

GIF image