[riscos-printing] Re: Supported printers

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:59:02 +0200

In message <7807e9cc4f.oramj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          John Oram <oramj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My enquiries before purchasing the iP4200 led me to believe that Epson
> were a non-starter since they seemed not very forthcoming at releasing
> information to allow Martin W. to build matching Gutenprint drivers,
> so I moved to Canon and have been quite happy with the results with my
> photography.

Quite to the contrary, Gutenprint is very much geared towards Epson
printers because from the start Epson have been much more forthcoming
at releasing information. The key Gutenprint developer mainly works on
the Epson drivers. The Gutenprint Canon drivers are significantly
lower quality than the Epson ones because they have received much less
attention over the years.

Secondly, it is worth noting that I do not create any drivers at all
nor do I consult any vendor information about printers. I only make
the work of the Gutenprint team available for RISC OS and I am not
involved in the actual development of the Gutenprint drivers.

Martin