[riscos-printing] Re: Supported printers

  • From: Martin <freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:55:32 +0100

On 18 Aug, in article <1a79cfd04f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <7807e9cc4f.oramj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           John Oram <oramj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > My enquiries before purchasing the iP4200 led me to believe that Epson
> > were a non-starter since they seemed not very forthcoming at releasing
> > information to allow Martin W. to build matching Gutenprint drivers,
> > so I moved to Canon and have been quite happy with the results with my
> > photography.

> Quite to the contrary, Gutenprint is very much geared towards Epson
> printers because from the start Epson have been much more forthcoming
> at releasing information. The key Gutenprint developer mainly works on
> the Epson drivers. The Gutenprint Canon drivers are significantly
> lower quality than the Epson ones because they have received much less
> attention over the years.

When you say 'significantly lower quality', will the difference only be
noticeable when printing high-resolution photos, or also when printing
text with the occasional low-res colour?

> Secondly, it is worth noting that I do not create any drivers at all
> nor do I consult any vendor information about printers. I only make
> the work of the Gutenprint team available for RISC OS and I am not
> involved in the actual development of the Gutenprint drivers.

Yup, I understand that.

Martin A

--
Martin Avison      using a British Iyonix running RISC OS 5
                   and the Pluto mail and newsreader