[realmusicians] Re: material for learning guitar

  • From: Tom Kingston <tom.kingston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 17:09:59 -0500

Hey Chris,

Thanks. Here's a few questions intermingled with your comments.

On 12/7/2011 8:45 AM, Chris Belle wrote:

Ok, never mind, 'grin', the simple answer is that take any reasonable
electric guitar, and any reasonable acoustic guitar, and the answer is
that yes, the electric will be easier to fret.

But controling pressure, and not over strongly pressing on strings, and
such and hitting the strings with just the right amount of force, etc
will all be different on an acoustic than an electric.
So are you saying that playing an electric is along with being physically easier also more forgiving than that of an acoustic? Or to put it another way, does your technique have to be more finely tuned when playing an acoustic.

There are hybrids like the gibson hollow bodies, which lean toward being
more electric,
More electric in both senses? e.g. sound and ease of playing? Sounds like a compelling compromise. But I don't imagine they would by any chance be the best of both worlds. On the other hand, would one of these beasts give me the easier electric action and also allow me to at least practice anywhere any time without having to plug in and power up an amp?

> and I do think for an all round guitarist, that learning your basics on
> a decent acoustic will lay the foundation, later you can decide whether
> you want to be an electric players mostly, or acoustic, or do both.
Can you expand a bit on why you recommend an acoustic as the best starting point? Is it just going to give you the chops you need that will make an electric a breeze if you decide to go that route later on. Kind of like learning to play the piano on a cheap console, and if you had the will power to stick it out and suffer the pain and frustration of the instruments limits you step into a Steinway showroom one day and have an orgasm when you discover how effortless playing a piano can actually be.

Thanks for all the other tech-tips and commentary as well. Lots of good food for thought.

Tom