[realmusicians] Re: material for learning guitar

  • From: Tom Kingston <tom.kingston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 07:32:58 -0500

Hey Chris,

You caught my attention when you said, if you want to build up hand strength and stamina then acoustic is good. I've always wanted to play guitar too, and have heard this a thousand times. But given my experieince on pianos, I can't help but ask, is a really good acoustic that much more difficult to play than an electric? Move up the food chain on pianos and while the sound certainly improves, there's nothing worse than a cheap piano action to discourage a newbie.

I'd rather have an electro-acoustic. Think James Taylor, old Bruce Springsteen, Kansas, Eagles, etc.

I gave it a whirl a year or so ago. But I didn't want to spend the money in case it didn't work out. And given my piano logic, I didn't want to buy a super sonic ultimate acoustic signature series power pack for 200 bucks that included the guitar, case, strap, stand, two sets of strings, tuner, rubber gloves, a can of WD40, and a life--time supply of spam. So I borrowed one of those exact guitars from my nephew, who hadn't touched it for at least a year. Needless to say, the strings were about 6 inches off of the fret board and my hands were ready to fall off after a couple weeks.

Okay. Back down to earth. I used to play in a band. The lead singer/guitarist had a decent electro-acoustic, but nothing special. Then he bought (I think) an Ovation and he never stopped raving about how damn effortless the thing was to play. So much so that he didn't even have to think about it and was still ready to roll at the end of the night, rather than looking for a bag of ice to put his hands in.

But hey, to be honest? this is more of a have a good time fun factor to me. At least that's the way I'm looking at it from the outside. Who knows. Maybe I'll fall in love and the guitar will become my main instrument.

So what's your (and anyone else's) thoughts and recommendations on the acoustic versus electric question. If electrics are indisputably easier to play, are there electrics with more of an acoustic tone?

Okay. Time to shut up. I've got to head on out for a while. Maybe I'll go guitar shopping and drop a grand or two. Heh!

Tom

On 12/7/2011 6:40 AM, Chris Belle wrote:
Well, I think the Bill Brown stuff is pretty popular, but he sort of
does the method you said you didn't like, doing songs or runs and such.

If you want an instructor, you could check out music stores around
there, they might teach you just what you want to learn.

I don't know how advanced you are on the guitar, but baring anything
else, I had done remote lessons
and if it's cords and some scales you need, orsome technique, I could
step up to the plate and try and help you get a bit further down the
road, there are also tabs and guitar resources all over the net, and
books, take your pick.

I admit this sort of thing works better in real time, but a good phone
system and hands free could work too.

And I'll give you a good rate, you couoldn't put me in Eddy Van Halen
class of guitarist, but I can certainly hold my own, and it might be fun
and challenging.

Are you wanting to learn electric or acoustic?

If you want to build up hand strength and stamina, I think acoustic is
good.

If you don't care about theory so much as feel, or learning riffs, and
listening to stuff and trying to do what they do, and having stuff
recorded, so you can review later, that's how i teach.

But aside from a shameless plug for a gig 'grin', your best bet is
probably to find a good local teacher.

he could watch your technique, like if you were here, I could see or
feel what you were doing with your hands,
and this kind of thing is harder to do remotely.

Not impossible, but a good local teacher could make sure your not doing
anything that might hinder you.

But in a way, whatever works isright.

Look at all the guitarists that played wrong that made it bigt?

Good luck man.

At 01:53 PM 12/6/2011, you wrote:
Hey guys, so I'm thinking of picking up the guitar again, and was
wondering if anybody had some audio material or knew of a good place
where I can get started? Here's the thing, I don't want a thing where
they teach you a song or teach you chords by teaching you little songs
or whatever. I'd rather be given the tools and go doing my own
building. This is how I teach my students when I teach piano, and it's
more effective than teaching specific things; so if I can find some
site or audio tuts that will teach me scales and how to create cords
etc, that'll be what I'm looking for! I know music theory and all
that, took classical training and all, so don't need that either. Just
need to refresh my memory on what I started learning a few years ago...
Any ideas/suggestions?

THX, D!J!X!

For all your audio production needs and technology training, visit us at

www.affordablestudioservices.com
or contact
Chris Belle
cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx