[realmusicians] Re: material for learning guitar

  • From: Chris Belle <cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 05:40:00 -0600

Well, I think the Bill Brown stuff is pretty popular, but he sort of does the method you said you didn't like, doing songs or runs and such.

If you want an instructor, you could check out music stores around there, they might teach you just what you want to learn.

I don't know how advanced you are on the guitar, but baring anything else, I had done remote lessons and if it's cords and some scales you need, orsome technique, I could step up to the plate and try and help you get a bit further down the road, there are also tabs and guitar resources all over the net, and books, take your pick.

I admit this sort of thing works better in real time, but a good phone system and hands free could work too.

And I'll give you a good rate, you couoldn't put me in Eddy Van Halen class of guitarist, but I can certainly hold my own, and it might be fun and challenging.

Are you wanting to learn electric or acoustic?

If you want to build up hand strength and stamina, I think acoustic is good.

If you don't care about theory so much as feel, or learning riffs, and listening to stuff and trying to do what they do, and having stuff recorded, so you can review later, that's how i teach.

But aside from a shameless plug for a gig 'grin', your best bet is probably to find a good local teacher.

he could watch your technique, like if you were here, I could see or feel what you were doing with your hands,
and this kind of thing is harder to do remotely.

Not impossible, but a good local teacher could make sure your not doing anything that might hinder you.

But in a way, whatever works isright.

Look at all the guitarists that played wrong that made it bigt?

Good luck man.

At 01:53 PM 12/6/2011, you wrote:
Hey guys, so I'm thinking of picking up the guitar again, and was wondering if anybody had some audio material or knew of a good place where I can get started? Here's the thing, I don't want a thing where they teach you a song or teach you chords by teaching you little songs or whatever. I'd rather be given the tools and go doing my own building. This is how I teach my students when I teach piano, and it's more effective than teaching specific things; so if I can find some site or audio tuts that will teach me scales and how to create cords etc, that'll be what I'm looking for! I know music theory and all that, took classical training and all, so don't need that either. Just need to refresh my memory on what I started learning a few years ago...
Any ideas/suggestions?

THX, D!J!X!

For all your audio production needs and technology training, visit us at

www.affordablestudioservices.com
or contact
Chris Belle
cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx