[real-eyes] Re: what does this mean...

  • From: Mitchell Lynn <mlynn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:17:34 -0500

What version of IE, Operating system and antivirus/malware products
installed?

This isn't an uncommon occurrence; I have no trouble finding it on the
web. Date and time settings (not just hour and minute but also time zone
and saving time etc) are the most common cause. Here's one interesting
post I found. He lists a number of things he tried before hitting on the
solution. It is significant that he tried other browsers without their
running into the problem. I'd feel better if some other browser reported
no problem with the site.

No stone unturned: How are you getting to Gmail--specifically? Can you
try from another machine or device?
Nota bene that I do not necessarily endorse his fix. It may well be
asking for trouble later on.
[begin quote]

Certificate error message at the bottom of the screen: "Internet
Explorer blocked
this website from displaying content with security certificate errors"
The error message appears when accessing Google (Gmail, Google Calendar,
Google browser)
The error message only appears in Internet Explorer 10 --- not with
Firefox, Safari,
Netscape
Note: "www.google.com" appears at the bottom of the "Untrusted
Publishers" list (Tools-Internet
Options-Content-Certificates-Untrusted Publishers) and cannot be edited
or removed.
The intended purpose of this certificate is for server and client
authentication.
Measures I have already taken to eliminate the message, but without
success: 1. Re-set
the date and time (5 times) 2. Ran a full system scan w/ Microsoft
Security Essentials
(twice) 3. Ran a full system scan with Ace Utilities [including registry
clean] (3
times) 4. Removed and reinstalled Internet Explorer (twice) 5. Disabled
all add-ons
and extensions 6. Placed Google URLs in the list of "trusted sites"
(Tools-Internet
Options-Security-Trusted Sites) 7. Unchecked (Tools-Internet
Options-Advanced-Security)
"Check for Publishers' Certificate Revocation" 8. Unchecked
(Tools-Internet Options-Advanced-Security)
"Check for Server Certificate Revocation" 9. Unchecked (Tools-Internet
Options-Advanced-Security)
"Check for Signatures on Downloaded Programs"
What finally worked: Unchecked (Tools-Internet
Options-Advanced-Security) "Warn about
certificate address mismatch*"

[end quote]