[real-eyes] Re: Apple's New Voices

  • From: "Jim Fettgather" <jimkc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 22:08:52 -0500

Hi Jose, I will say that while VoiceOver on the Mac is not perfect,  it does
allow for very efficient composing and reading of email, creation,
formatting and spell checking of documents compatible with Microsoft Word,
surfing the web, not using the same techniques as JFW or Window-Eyes, but
very very useable.
Many accessible programs exist, the Mac version of Skype, Sound Studio for
recording, and a brilliantly accessible PDF reader as part of the operating
system.

There are still some access issues.
Apple still has not made its own I tunes program accessible, a program used
by more than 90% of everyone who has ever thought of using am MP3 player.
Garage Band and ProTools, which are both premier multi-track recording
programs, are simply not accessible to VoiceOver.  And right now, there is
not yet an acdcessible spreadsheet  program.

But, even as it stands right now,  VoiceOver comes shipped with every Mac,
making it potentially the most widely distributed screen reader in the
world.  And of course, there's no comparison between VoiceOver and Narrator.
And the next version is slated to have many many new features, and as you
heard, the new voices.