[ratpack] Re: Some good photos

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:47:02 -0600

I don't think anyone needs to show this fella the ropes. He's very, very good. Tends to prove ol Rockwell's point about not needing megabucks worth of cameras to get good photos.

The web site sez he's from Northern California. Did you get the idea that he'd moved here?

I shot practice of the MPRA Saturday morning, then went to the Concours at Thanksgiving point. Damn near melted in the heat.

I've discovered something. Photography is a very good way to starve to death doing something you love. I guess you could say that about any form of art, but this last weekend seemed to drive home the point that I'm going about the selling end of things wrong. I don't know how to fix it, but I'm gonna have to if I ever expect to make money outta this.

I'll have photos of the Concours up....ohhh...eventually. Btw, they tried to combine the vintage/classic car show with a hot rod show....and it just didn't work...there were some great cars there...some on the way back from Pebble Beach, but I'm told that it was about half the size of the previous year. It didn't help that they'd raised the entry fee for the third successive year.

I'll make another post with a coupla photos from that deal. It was nice to meet some old friends...and I got an autographed poster from Brandy Wanlass. When I told her that I was gonna hang it between the posters her dad had given me, she jumped up and gave me a hug. I guess she was pleased that I'd rank her art up with her father's. Well, in my jaundiced eye, her poster is every bit as good as his.

Ohh...I got the "Seen at the Scene" section of the Speed Week photos done. It's a collection of rods and kustoms and other stuff from the salt flats. Now it's on to the race cars.

More later.

RtR

At 03:22 PM 8/23/2009, you wrote:
While I was at the Miller SCCA race one of the drivers asked me if I would show another photographer friend the ropes. His name is Michael Wells and takes some pretty fair photos. He is interest in coming to a Pack meeting if and when we have another one. In the mean time here is is web site. <http://www.pbase.com/twistedlight/great_salt_race>http://www.pbase.com/twistedlight/great_salt_race

Paul