[ratpack] Re: November lunch meeting

  • From: JOHN W WEIBEL <marce.weibel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:36:23 +0000

Thought Hires was the only place who took us rats in.

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:21:39 -0700
To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ratpack] Re: November lunch meeting

Looks like it's the 21st.  Shall we meet again at Hires around 1 pm?

Yes, Mark, of course you're invited.  Youse a ratpacker now...with GOM photos
and everything.  Uhhh...that's Girls Of Miller according to a photographer who
might remain anonymous.  :)  As the old song goes, "you can check out any time
you want, but you can never leave."  :)  (With apologies to Don Henley, Joe
Walsh and the Eagles.)

I'll just write a paragraph or 2 about the camera I'd like to sell.  It's a
Canon 20D, body only.  The major differences between it and later models (like
the 40 and 50D) is that its LCD is the size of a postage stamp and in
motor-drive mode it only shoots 3 frames per second.  Later models have burst
rates of 6 or 8 fps.

It has "body armor" on it...that's a rubberized covering over the body to keep
it from getting damaged by knocking it into things, although I don't think it'd
protect it from a fall to the ground (unless the ground was pretty soft) but I
think it's mainly intended to protect it if you're carrying more than one
camera.  Having 'em bang into one another would be a bad thing.

I bought the camera body used for $300 and put the body armor on it.  I can't
remember the price I paid for the armor, but street price is between $20 and
$50.  It's specific to the 20D.

It's been a very good camera and has saved my butt a coupla times when I ran
out of battery or had the wrong lens on the primary camera. It's also nice if
you have a long lens on one body and a wide one on another.

In any case, it's been my "beater" camera and it's worked flawlessly.  With the
purchase of the 7D, the 40D will become my beater and I don't have much use for
the 20 now.  I have the original box and I'd like to get $250 for it.   One
advantage to the 20D is that it's compatible with just about all EF-S or L
series lenses, where the 10D (if you're considering that) is somewhat limited
in its lens compatibility.  Paul can fill in the details on that issue.

The lens I have for sale is a Sigma 17-70 f2.8.   It's a good "walkin around"
lens.  I used it almost exclusively when I shot car shows and cruise nights:
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-70mm-2-8-4-5-Autofocus-Digital/dp/B000LJAQ3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257965305&sr=8-1
   It sells new for $369.  I'm asking for $250 for it since I don't have the
original box.   It's very close to the Tamron lens you mentioned except that it
has an extra 20mm at the long end.  The Tamron sells for the same price
(approximately) as the Sigma.

Btw, if ya want 'em both, I'll let 'em go for $450 total.  That would let me
get a battery pack for the 7D and have some walkin around money as well.  I'm
tempted to say that if ya buy it with cash when we have our lunch meeting, I'll
buy everybody's lunch.  How's that for peer pressure?  :)

RtR

At 09:27 PM 11/10/2009, you wrote:

Either date i can adjust to if im invited.
Thanks to everyone at mmsp on oct 31st. had a blast.
I also got pictures of the girls there, didnt know it was a ratpack requirement
got a picture of the two brunettes together

Ray tell me about the lens and camera you are getting rid of.

I have been looking at this

Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8

need to return a card at the meeting

On Nov 10, 2009, at 3:54 PM, Ray Buck wrote:

Paul and I talked about this (since he was here at my house to return my 20D
and Sigma 17-70 lens) and realized that the reason that the 14th wouldn't have
been a good date is no longer valid...I'm not gonna be making a trip to El
Mirage.

With that in mind, Paul and I agreed that either the 14th or the 21st are good
for us.  Thanksgiving is on the 26th (I had to look it up) so I don't think
either date would be in conflict with the holidays.  But ya never know.

How about picking one of the two dates and reply to this message...then we'll
tally the votes (yeahrightsure...maybe we could get a Florida election official
to validate the outcome) and etch it in stone.  K?

RtR