[racktables-users] IPv6 questions

  • From: "Tim Price" <tim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 22:48:05 +1300

Hi all,

I'm thrilled to find IPv6 support works very well in 0.19.0 but I have a couple
of questions about seemingly missing functionality.  As an ISP our IPv6
allocation strategy, and this is probably odd and no-one else will do it this
way, is as follows:  We allocate a header IPv6 address out of a /64 (without
autoconfiguration) and then route any number of /64-/56 ranges to that header
IP.  That said these are missing bits that we've found so far.

1.  Some way of adding a single reserved or connected IPv6 address without a
'device and interface' defined.

We don’t bother tracking customer equipment (or at least not all of it) so
therefore don't get down to the detail of defining a device, interfaces and
assigning IPv6 addresses to it whereupon the IPs would be reserved in the
defined IPv6 range.  There doesn't seem to be any easy way of doing it
otherwise except, and this is probably not recommended:  Search for the
address, this causes the address to appear in the IPv6 range and allows you to
click on it at which point you can reserve it and give it a name.  I found this
purely by accident.

2.  The dragons and knights which exist in the IPv4 section and which are handy
for some, I personally love them, don't exist in the IPv6 addresses section.
Am I missing something or are they deliberately left out because it would make
the interface cluttered and  impossible to use?

Cheers,

Tim Price