[racktables-users] Re: IPv6 questions

  • From: Tore Anderson <tore.anderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 15:04:04 +0200

* Tyler J. Wagner

> On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 03:39 +0200, Jeroen ten Berge wrote:
>>> IPv6 subnetting is constrained to nibble boundaries (/32, /36,
>>> /40, ... down to /64). Even if you want to allow arbitrary
>>> subnets (you shouldn't), make that a UI option that defaults to
>>> off. The dragon feature should follow the IPv6 spec.
>
>> I wasn't aware of the nibble boundaries ! Why shouldn't i ?
>
> I spoke too soon. It isn't constrained by the spec to nibbles, but
> in practice, it is. The single best reason is DNS. Breaking PTR
> records within nibble boundaries requires us to use the same hack for
> PTR records as we do for CIDR in IPv4, and nobody wants that.
>
> The spec does specify that an ISP should assign /48's to its
> customers, or at least /56.

While the IETF recommends assigning /48-/56 to end users, this is just a
guideline which is mostly relevant for broadband ISPs, not so much for
data centres and network operators.

It for example quite common to use /127 subnets for point-to-point
links, see <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-prefixlen-p2p>,
so you are wrong about the «in practice» part, too.

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com