[pythian] PROJECT - New animation system

  • From: Darryl Long <dlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:47:42 -0500

Hi,

One of the tasks I had set for myself for the next release of the game is to
add two features to the animation system: (1) the ability to have more than
one animation for each type of action, and (2) the object a character is
using controls the animation the character plays.

Both of these tasks are underway so I'd like to talk about the system a bit
and see if anyone has any suggestions or comments.

The first part, more than one animation per action, is best explained with
an example.  Let's say the player wants to perform an action like attacking
an enemy.  The game figures out it needs to play the "attack" animation, but
it would be boring if it played the same animation every time.  Under the
new system, it is easy to specify two or more animations for the same
action.

In the second part, each object that can be used (such as a weapon, a door,
a shield) specifies which animation is played for any action the player does
with it.  For example, the longsword would specify the "single handed
attack" animation for attacking, while the two-handed sword would specify
the "two handed attack" animation for attacking.  The door would specify the
"open door" animation when the player tries to use it.  The great advantage
of this feature is that we don't need a bunch of logic in the game with
things like "when the weapon is two-handed, play the two-handed attack
animation" and "when the player opens a door, play the open door animation"
and such.  It is much easier to add new objects to the game, each with
unique behaviour.

These features will be in the next version, so now I just need people to
make all the necessary animations :)  I'll post a list of all the required
animations later.

Darryl