[pythian] Re: PROJECT - Music

  • From: "kk" <krauspe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 19:01:16 +0200

> The music has been disabled.  Although Kamil's code looks fine, and
> probably works well, it requires DirectX 8!  I can not install DirectX
> 8, so I could not run the engine with Kamil's code.  Plus I don't like
> being slaves to the evil forces of MS, which is why we chose OpenGL over
> Direct3D in the first place.  Could we use something else for our music?

hmm.. the midi music engine needs directmusic/dsound 8 but I am not sure if
BASS does. Anyway, this is just the REVERB effect. Just disable it and it
will work also with directx7. FMOD does not need DirectX at all (but it will
use it if there is DSound installed and HW sound acceleration supported), so
most likely I will switch also the music engine into FMOD as it is faster
according to CPU tests made by the authors of FMOD.

(Darryl, I will try first to disable the reverb and then please tell me if
the music engine works well).

Does the sound engine work for you?

-kk