[pythian] Re: DESIGN - PK'ing

  • From: "Enrico Rizzato" <arbegas5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 16:11:16 +0200

Sorry if my "reasoning" was so short (LOL).
But if you noticed when I sent it was about 5:39 am here... I was half
asleep, and I wasn't in the right mood to write a long reply (LOL).
But to remain into the topic...
I played with many MMORPGs (also for my job), also as a guildmaster, and I
assure u that it's not a good idea to limite the PvP in that way.
Usually PKs take action alone... it's very difficoult to find a guild
composed only by PKs, 'cause usually they are quarrelsome and they don't
blend or co-operate with others easily.
PKs usually strike and harass players when they're sure these players are
less-experienced in combat or when these players have got weak characters:
they attack other players only when they know their characters are two or
three time strong than the players they want to attack.
They don't attack strong characters, 'cause they know they will be beaten:
PKs usually don't like to loose.
Often they're also very young: an old player usually don't like to loose his
in time in squabbles, and he doesn't get much fun from continuing to kill
other players (apart if he's the kind of player who likes also online games
as "Unreal Torunment" or "Medal of honours", which are 3D-shooters).
Assuming these things, I can assure you that, if you put those limits you
explained, a group which consists of two or three weak characters won't
never be able to kill a powerful PK. That's not what we want.
Guilds exist primarily to protect their members from hostile attacks: a
guild which consists of 20 weak members has no sense to exist if it cannot
protect its members from PKs.
Moreover, often the people who lament to be harrassed by a guild is a people
who harrassed a member of that guild and that then doesn't want to get the
pay-back, that is, a stupid young PK that don't like to loose after having
arrassed someone from a guild (it happened to me many times when I was a
guild-master :-D).
As I told you it's very difficoult to find a guild entirely composed by PKs,
which strikes repetitively the same players: usually these kinda guilds
doesn't last too much (I explained the reasons before), and moreover, a
player harassed by this kinda guild could also subscribe himself to a guild
which will protect him...
For me the solution is not to limit the PvP in that way u told, but to have
also different ways to resolve a squabble which are different from PvP... I
proposed something some moths ago, and it is in our document about PvP and
guilds... but I didn't get much feed-back about that (apart from Darryl).

Enrico