[pythian] Re: CODE - Lightmaps

  • From: Darryl Long <pythianproject@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 22:34:04 -0700

Hi Kamil,

I could not export with lightmaps.  I kept getting a stack overflow that
would crash the Editor in CreateBucketFromTris.  What maps were you
testing with?  None of mine, even simple maps, would work.  Still, I
have looked at the code and here is what I think.

Minimum requests:

- Take the "Rebuild Mipmaps" button off the Shader form and put it in
the tools menu.
- TShader.Replicate: do not pass in the Region.  Just name the shader
'New Shader" and force the calling function to create a unique name
- Move the code for creating the buckets from ExportPythian to a
seperate procedure (line 888 to 952).

I did not realize you were only generating lightmaps when the map is
exported.  I thought we would make this like the Phase 1 Editor where
you would generate lightmaps, make sure the lights worked as you
desired, then you could export the map.

Now that I've thought about it more, I don't understand why you are
generating the lightmaps for strips.  I think we could generate the
lightmaps for individual panels, as in the previous Editor, then group
them together into strips and pack them into fewer textures when the map
is exported.  Would that be too complicated?  It might be easier because
the first texture layer is already providing you with coordinates on
which to base your second layer, and tells you which triangles belong
together and how to map them onto 2D.

For compression I believe that we should store textures in the pem file
as bitmaps, and in the pcm file as jpegs.  How does that sound?  A good
compromise?

Hmm... you did not add fmod.dll to CVS.  It seems you have caught
whatever virus afflicts me :)

Darryl