[pythian] Re: CODE - Lightmaps

  • From: "kk" <krauspe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 13:58:34 +0200

> For image format, why not using RAR compression on a
> BMP ? With multimedia compression of the RAR
> compression we got a ratio of 4 > 1. without quality
> lost. There is also an another way to have very small
> files : use 256 colors per bitmap which decrease a lot
> the file size. Finaly there is the PNG format that
> also use a compression without quality lost.

256 palletized/R3G3B2 version may be nice but useless for lightmaps. LPNG is
really good - but very very slow to compress.
Anyway, I will try more things. I am thinking about making this as an option
to the designer - in level editor. A texture would hold a single byte
information about what format it is. This would maybe include
8bit/16bit/24bit/32bit bmp, 100%/90%/80% jpg with different samplings, PCX
(bmp with rle), zlib, etc. The designer could choose from those or select
automatical which would be slower - it would compress by all and determine
what is smallest + best relative quality.

> Anyway for the Jpg format, we can use a compression of
> 90 % with YUV122 sampling and the Huffman
> optimizations, like this we got an image that look
> like a lot to the original. Only a few details will
> disapear. I saw that in Return to Castle Wolfeinstein,
> they were using Jpg compression for all textures.

RTCW as well as Q3. I think unreal engine uses RLE compressed PCXs.

-kk