[pure-silver] Re: unsharp lens

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 17:01:49 -0700

afterswift@xxxxxxx wrote:
Are we sure we want sharp lenses, particularly for portraiture. Stieglitz went
a lot of trouble to defocus portraits of his wife. He almost indulged in a form
of
romantic pictorialism. I don't recall whether he made those changes in the
darkroom
or during exposure.
Sure, for some styles of portraiture, soft lenses work great. Note, though, that it's easy to soften a sharp lens, but it's impossible to sharpen a soft one, unless the lens is damaged or misaligned. If the lens is to be general purpose, then it should be sharp. You can then experiment with diffusors (in camera or in the enlarger) to your heart's content.