[pure-silver] Re: spoiled by my new lens

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 13:19:00 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 12:46 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] spoiled by my new lens

Oops, I have had a hasselblad for a year now, and I have just been printing negatives I made last summer with it. I photographed the same subject (an old farmhouse) with my 150mm lens on my view camera, and the view camera negatives are decidedly inferior to the medium format Hasselblad negatives. I think it might be because the view camera 150mm lens is not very good. I got it when I was a student, about eight years ago, and it was very inexpensive. It is a Sinaron S, and it seemed fine until, oh, I guess today.

I know that price is not always proportional to quality, but...I am thinking of upgrading. What would be a view camera lens that is like the lens on the Hassie? I love that lens. It's the Zeiss C T*. Does Karl Zeiss make lenses for view cameras?

(PS I also like my plastic Holga lens. I'm not a lens snob really!)

--shannon

Sinaron is a house brand of Sinar for lenses it buys from various manufacturers. The Sinaron-S is supposed to be a Rodenstock Sironar, which is a very high quality lens. What faults does this lens seem to have? Its possible its just a bad lens but it may also be damaged or an element may be out of place or something else that can be fixed. The main makers of large format lenses currently are Schneider and Rodenstock. Zeiss has made lenses in the past but I don't think they make any now. Fuji and Nikon have also made some excellent LF lenses in the recent past.
    Also, what format is your view camera?

---