[pure-silver] Re: spoiled by my new lens

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 23:09:13 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 7:39 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: spoiled by my new lens

>I think you must be sure your camera movements are zeroed >out..... This is pretty easy to do.....

But in my opinion, Peter has hit on the most likely problem.... your GG is in the wrong place relative to the film plane.

I am not sure how to fix this.... any suggestions out there if the GG is out of calibration? How can you tell the right location?

Then, after you are sure the GG is in the right location, you can test your film holders for correct location.... but test the GG
first.....

There is a piece of glass or plastic with a grid on it, and then under that is a thicker piece of glass.

But, if this were the problem, then both lenses would be affected, would they not?

--shannon

That is correct, if the GG is out of place it will affect short focal length lenses even more than longer ones. Check the quality of the image on the GG. See if you can detect the same softness there. This will tell you if the problem is the lens or something else. Ken Hough rebuilds Deardorf cameras and knows his stuff. He's sent a good checklist worth following up, but check the GG image first to make sure. If the lens _is_ soft it can be from a couple of things, all unlikely but possible. One is an element out of place because its fastenings are loose. Check the lens to see if it rattles when shaken, it shouldn't. Also, Get the best focus you can on the GG and examine a corner or edge of the image while rotating the lens slowly in its mount. You should see no difference in the image. If it does change its an indication of a tilted element. Its also possible that the lens had an optimizing shim on one of the cells. Cell spacing can be checked by focusing on a very distant small object (a star image is best) and adjusting the cell spacing by turning the front element around a couple of turns. If the star becomes sharper as you turn its an indication that a spacer is missing. This can happen if the cells are removed to clean them but, again, is unlikely. If the GG image _is_ sharp but the negatives are not then suspect the GG position or holder accuracy but, since your other lens performs well these are probably OK.

---