[pure-silver] Re: unsharp lens

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 20:38:46 -0500

On Monday 07 May 2007 16:45, Shannon Stoney wrote:

 4x5.  When I look through the lens it looks clean.  But the 4x5
 negatives just aren't as sharp as the medium format negatives. How
 would you be able to tell if an element was out of place?  Could a
 repair guy tell that?

        I don't know if the diagrams are online or not but usually they give
distances so you can just measure. That would help if it was something simple
like a thick lensboard.

http://www.butzi.net/rodenstock/apo-sironar-s/page2.htm

Don't know if that's your version or not.

I looked at this page. It tells you that the "flange focal distance" should be 147mm. Is this the distance from the lensboard to the film plane?

It also says that maximum sharpness for this lens is at f/11-22. I usually stop down quite a bit more than that. Could that be the problem?

I don't see how that could be it, because I do the same with the 90mm lens, and those images are plenty sharp.

--shannon