[pure-silver] Re: substitute for commercial gold toner

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 16:22:34 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: <anclancy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 11:04 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] substitute for commercial gold toner

> Have been using Fotospeed gold toner and am looking for
> formula that i can mix my self , as i have on hand a wide
> variety of chemical used for other gold toners. This toner
> is being used after selenium for extended times, long
> extended times with no color shifts.
> Fotospeed does not list the basic ingredients as do many
> other makers so I don't know what they are using that
> makes it so stable that it can be used, put away and then
> re-used again.
>
> I have been doing a lot of research and have almost every
> known formula. Have also talked with the Formulary
> regarding their kits to determine what would be a similar
> substitute.
>
> It has boiled down to GAF 231 or perhapes GP-1.
>
> Both contain basically the same chemicals; in varying
> amounts. I have used GP-1 when doing split toning
> (Jonathan Bailey's version) but it is also recommend for
> basic protection rather than a color shift. 231 can and
> will produce a color shift but it's discription is similar
> to the one found on Fotospeeds directions.  One indicates
> the use of Ammonium thiocyanate altho Sodium thiocyanate
> may be subsituted. the other indicates sodium thiocyanate
> with Potassium thiocyanate may be subsituted. In my Morgan
> and Mortgan index all version of thiocyanate indicate
> their can be a substitution of any the other types.
> My question is does it make a difference (am not a
> chemist, so i don't know)? What i do know is that there is
> huge difference in cost.
>
> It would be nice to find a substitute that could be mixed
> and have on hand to use at a moments notice, which is one
> advantage  that Fotospeed provides.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> regards,
> ann clancy

    The MSDS for the Fotospeed Gold toner indicates it
contains Thiourea (AKA Thiocarbamide). I think this is what
is used in Kodak GP-2, a gold toner intended for image
protection of microfilm. I don't remember seeing another
Gold toner of this type but there probably are others.
    I don't know how much if any difference the type of salt
makes with thiocyanate, my guess is little or none.

---