[pure-silver] substitute for commercial gold toner

  • From: anclancy@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:04:34 +0000

Have been using Fotospeed gold toner and am looking for formula that i can mix
my self , as i have on hand a wide variety of chemical used for other gold
toners. This toner is being used after selenium for extended times, long
extended times with no color shifts.
Fotospeed does not list the basic ingredients as do many other makers so I
don't know what they are using that makes it so stable that it can be used, put
away and then re-used again.

I have been doing a lot of research and have almost every known formula. Have
also talked with the Formulary regarding their kits to determine what would be
a similar substitute.

It has boiled down to GAF 231 or perhapes GP-1.

Both contain basically the same chemicals; in varying amounts. I have used GP-1
when doing split toning (Jonathan Bailey's version) but it is also recommend
for basic protection rather than a color shift. 231 can and will produce a
color shift but it's discription is similar to the one found on Fotospeeds
directions.  One indicates the use of Ammonium thiocyanate altho Sodium
thiocyanate may be subsituted. the other indicates sodium thiocyanate with
Potassium thiocyanate may be subsituted. In my Morgan and Mortgan index all
version of thiocyanate indicate their can be a substitution of any the other
types.
My question is does it make a difference (am not a chemist, so i don't know)?
What i do know is that there is  huge difference in cost.

It would be nice to find a substitute that could be mixed and have on hand to
use at a moments notice, which is one advantage  that Fotospeed provides.

Any thoughts?

regards,
ann clancy