[pure-silver] Re: shooting in snow

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:45:08 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Bower" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:13 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: shooting in snow

I've shot snow on the ground, and successfully exposed it. So, what I guess I'm asking is what shutter speeds will give what effects. For example, what speed will typically freeze the motion of the snow? What speed will blur it slightly? Thanks.
--
John Bower, an Indiana Artisan
http://www.studioindiana.com/

I think this is rather like photographing flowing water. A waterfall looks quite strange is the shutter speed is too high. My guess is that a speed of around 1/25th would give the effect of movement because snow generally falls fairly slowly. Of course, if it is being driven by wind it moves faster. I think some experiments are the only way to be sure. That leads to a curious thought: focal plane shutters distort moving objects, for instance, it used to be common to see wheels on racing cars shown as being oval-shaped and leaning in the direction of motion. That was because the the typical Graflex type camera had a large FP shutter which moved downward in the image plane, meaning it exposed the bottom of the picture first. So, as it moved up the wheel was moving forward and the top of the wheel was shown leaning in whatever direction is was moving. The typical Graflex shutter is pretty slow moving, the high speed being obtained by narrowing the slit. So, I wonder what it would do to snow. The flakes would be moving counter to the effective shutter movement so I suppose it would effectively shorten the exposure. Strobe will freeze the movement, I've seen plenty of pictures taken in the snow using a strobe. OTOH, its been many years since I lived where it snowed much. I thought it was fun when I was a kid but didn't have to shovel it.