[pure-silver] Re: shooting in snow

  • From: w keith griffith <kgriffit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:20:19 -0800

2 1/2 stops open from a reflected reading.  YMMV

Sorry about bringing up a piano players version of exposure control,,, but spot meter the brightest snow you want texture in,,, and call it two stops (or 2 1/2 stops) different than 18% (or 15%). (that'd be zone 7 for the snow, 5 for grey, and likely to be a bit hi in contrast, so that accounts for the little bit of extra exposure to help out the shadows which is why the 2.5 F correction instead of 2.0

The spot meter works fine. Just that it really, really depends on experience, knowledge and thought behind it.

Incident light meter, as long as you're in the same amount of light that the picture is in is the easiest way to deal with the problem. (I'm to wrapped up in the whole technical process to do that ;-) Already posted more than I know about that.....

Oh Man,,, just read what I wrote. I guess Flame On!!! Just remember it's a hobby!!!

At 06:55 PM 2/10/2011, you wrote:
Well don't be so sure a spot meter will work either. You have to remember that the spot meter is just going to give you an exposure as if it were 18% gray. A really dark building the meter will try to make 18% gray. Same with the snow. It's so reflective but that meter gives a reading as if the snow was 18% gray. That leads to lousy looking snow.

Now an in camera meter likely would have a way to evaluate and come up with a workable reading doing the compensating in the software. There was a time when it was just a couple of points of measure, but now most cameras will have at least 20+ if its a digital slr. If snow is the bulk of them, its comes out 18% gray most of the time.

For snow the best way I have found is to use either a gray card or if you are lucky use an ambient light meter that measures the light falling on the meter rather than light reflecting back to the meter as a spot would. If you get caught without a gray card, I have used the palm of my hand as the next best thing.