[pure-silver] Re: pure-silver Digest V1 #51

  • From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:43:25 -0400

I don't get it......privatized or not, if you're physically standing on
public property you have the right to take a photo of anything you dang well
please...at least in the US.  A "security guard" is a contracted employee,
not an officer of the law (once again, in the US anyhow).

Last time I checked, it's not against the law to photograph private property
if you're standing on public lands while doing so.  Slanderous, libelous, or
other non-fair-use employment of the image is another story, however.

When this has happened to me (and it has, by both business owners and hired
security guards), I tell them I am within my rights to take pictures, as I
am standing on public property.  I also mention that they are within their
rights to call the police, which they NEVER do.  After all, the time spent
calling police (who will likely refuse to come for such a non-crime) on
someone who will be gone in moments anyhow is a no-brainer.  I stand my
ground, and they eventually are forced to go back to their business if they
want to continue earning income, and avoid the bad PR because I tend to be
LOUD when my civil liberties are being infringed upon.

I know my approach isn't for everyone...just sharing my experiences, in the
hope it will inspire others to stand up for their rights as well!

-Adrienne

Rarity increases value only because of convention.

Even food becomes valuable only when there is not enough of it -- as soon as
there is too much of it, we immolate herds of cattle and let warehouses of
grain rot.

-RUSSELL SMITH
(excerpted from TheGlobeandMail.com, 9/2/03)