[pure-silver] Re: print washer

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 15:17:11 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elias_Roustom" <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2010 12:03 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: print washer

My Kodak syphon seems not to be working right, the low spout is putting water our continuously - I think it's only supposed to flush
when the tub fills up right?
It's not magic, the face of each print has to be exposed to moving water. I can't just put a pile of prints in the tub and let the
syphon run?

I have (what I think is) a good home-made system. I run the water into a tub with holes at the bottom of it, and then I bring the prints up from the bottom one at a time continuously for 10 minutes - use a fixer remover solution for three minutes per 2 print (constant agitation and occasional change of position) - then another 10-15 minutes of the cycling around in running water. It's tiring late an night. I'm wondering if I can do better than that in terms of water
usage and time standing there and actively washing.

Thanks,

Elias

Your syphon is working correctly. Water flows into the tray continuously. When it reaches a certain level the syphon part sucks it out so the syphon will make an intermittant sucking sound. To work best the level of water in the tray should not be too deep and the syphon should be placed so that it creates some circular movement of water. These simple devices work about as well as much more complex washers but see my note about the necessity of shuffling multiple prints or sheets of film to insure exposure of all surfaces to fresh water.