[pure-silver] Re: print washer

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 05:53:48 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

-----Original Message-----

     Heroic washing is not necessary and may damage the support. If sulfite
wash aid, such as Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent, is used double-weight paper will
wash out in half an hour. Overnight soaks will damage the support.
     Washing of the emulsion is via a diffusion process. The hypo diffuses out
of the emulsion at a rate which depends on the ratio of the concentration of
hypo in the emulsion and in the wash water. It is exponential becoming slower
as it progresses. For fastest and most complete washing the water at the
surface of the emulsion should have the lowest possible concentration of hypo
in it.
     The support washes out by a process which is only partially by diffusion.
The hypo is held by the paper fibers and must be removed by a frictional
process; that is why fiber paper washes out so much more slowly than RC paper
of film. A wash aid will accelerate the washing of the support but not as much
as it does the emulsion.
     Paper and film _can_ be overwashed; T.H.James, of Kodak Research
Laboratories, discovered c.1961, that a very small residue of thiosulfate in
the emulsion stabilized the silver image giving it some protection against
oxidation by atmospheric peroxides and other polutants. The protection is
nowhere near as complete as that given by toning with a sulfide, selenium, or
gold toner but is significant. Similar results were found by the laboratory at
Fuji.
     Some authors, David Vestal for example, used to recommend very long washes
and overnight soaks. Vestal changed his recommendations in light of the
discovery by James and Fuji.
     In general, a sulfite wash aid will help to speed up washing and can help
remove some incompletely solubilized silver complexes left by partially
exhuasted fixer. It will conserve water. But, adequate washing can be obtained
without it although the wash times are something like five times longer. Wash
times need not be extended beyond Kodak's recommendations unless one encounters
problems with toning.