[pure-silver] Re: phosphorescent paint

  • From: harry kalish <hksvk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:26:22 -0400

Thanks to all you responders. When breaking away the small plastic jar the
substance had solidified in, I found the mass to have a tough rubbery
consistency. It has no brittleness whatsoever, so the mortor and pestle does
not break it up at all. I have several solvents in which I will try to
dissolve small shavings. But I expect that xylene is what is needed. I'll
report back to the list about this.

I wonder if my memory serves me correctly that xylene is the solvent that is
sold as a thinner for the typewriter correction fluid 'White-Out'. But ones
who still use typewriters probably make no mistakes, hence this stuff may be
NLA.

On 4/26/09 7:48 PM, "Ray Rogers" <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Richard. Yes, I was about to add somethng when I saw your post. Here there
> are two types of binders offered sde by side, but a water based clear varnish
> is also useable.
>
> Starting from the powder itself, use at about 15-17%
>
> If you use Xylene, Harry
> do be aware of its harmful nature...
>
> "Flamable. Hazardous to health when inhaled, swallowed or brought into contact
> with the skin. Irritating to skin. Wear suitable gloves."
>
> Let us know how you resolve the problem.
>
> Ray

>>> Thanks,