[pure-silver] Re: help with finding an 4x5" enlarger

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:09:22 -0500

At 06:22 AM 1/31/2006 , Gianni Rondinini wrote:
>i'm watching ebay for an l1200: you never know...
>700 eur would be ok for me, if it was complete with all i need to
>print 135, 120 and 4x5.
>
>regards,
>--
>Gianni Rondinini (30, tanti, RA)

January 31, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

I've been using an L1200 for a decade. I bought it brand new, and I went a
little overboard on the trimmings. I bought all the little doodads that
make it "complete with all i need to print 135, 120 and 4x5.>complete with
all i need to print 135, 120 and 4x5."

Well, that means a set of light mixing boxes ('MG Boxes'). I have found the
4x5 mixing box is all that is necessary. I've stopped switching to my
smaller mixing boxes if I print smaller negatives. They concentrate the
light, true, and the exposures are slightly shorter. But not enough to
matter unless the enlarger is in a commercial production environment. For
the individual low-volume user it's insignificant.

Also, the full set of negative masks is unnecessary. I bought masks for
every format I thought I might use. But the glass carrier inserts are so
nice to use I never take them out. Any negative I use, no matter the format
or if I've cut out an irregular piece of negative, I just set on the glass
and position accordingly. The glass carrier is a real convenience and a
dream to work with. Durst anti-Newton glass is super quality.

My advice would be to try to find a unit that had only the 4x5 box and no
negative masks, so it seems like an undesirable purchase. That should help
work the price down. I think it's still possible to buy anti-Newton
negative carrier glasses from Durst if a new one seems in order.

I didn't bother with condensers, thankfully. I use a diffused light source.
But if I had to use condenser, I'd definitely see if the 4x5 condenser set
did the trick for smaller formats. The added brightness just isn't worth
the huge money.

I'd never buy the smaller boxes or neg carrier inserts if I had it to do over.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326