[pure-silver] Re: bad vibrations

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 08:32:00 -0600

Rob a écrit :
don't have that model but on an L1200 the fan is in the head. The fan is mounted on a rubber block to absorb vibrations. There is a transit screw which needs removing from the fan and reduces vibration dramatically. Don't know if there is something similar on your enlarger but if there are tubes then it sounds like fan is not mounted in the head. In which case, is the enlarger mounted on a solid floor or is it standing on boards. If its on boards then try stamping on floor to see if it causes vibration because if it does then it could be you moving about that causes the problem.

Hi !
I think the main problem is air flow.
You suck (is this the correct English term ?) air

Yes, it is, but my email software gets mad every time I use that word and puts it in red type, in case I am flaming somebody I guess. Or writing pornography to send to children.

 from the air, causing
a certain depression. You need the same amount of air to come into the
head. If the holes are of too small a surface, air has "to find it's
way". So it sucks the carrier's glass (as it has a large surface, force
is big, even if pressure is low) raising it until air flows. Then
pressure drops and the glass "falls" and this cuts the air flow. And
again, and again... causing the vibrations.

You can see this happening when you look through the grain finder!

Try to check for an exploded view of the head to see if you've not
sealed a pressure relief hole somewhere ?
Try replace the air filter (this would reduce the air flow, so reduce
pressure)
Is the neg carrier the correct one ? Is it correctly mounted (if you
reverse something you may have closed a gap between it and the housing
blocking air flow...)

I think the negative carrier and everything is right.

The main problem we face, now, is that people knowing these big
enlargers are scarse... So getting advice is difficult, even from the
manufacturer, if it still exists. I urge you to get all the
documentation you can get, even the maintenance manual, as it often
shows how to dismantle and rebuild the beast.... And helps putting the
right part into the right place !
Hope this helps !

I think you are right that I need a manual. I know where I can get one. The Devere company has a distributor in Canada called KHBPhotographix. They have gotten parts for me in the past, and they have the manuals.

My tech guy that has helped me with this monster of an enlarger told me that a chinese company bought Devere. The original inventor/owner sold it to the chinese becuase they were going to copy his design anyway, and he thought it was the only way he could get any money back for his intellectual property!

--shannon

--
Ce message est constitué d'au moins 50 % d'électrons recyclés.
Aucun électron n'a été blessé ou forcé d'aucune manière