[pure-silver] bad vibrations

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 16:02:01 -0600

Today when I was using my older model 108 Devere enlarger with the 8x10 mask in it, I noticed that the image was visibly moving around on the easel! Yikes! This enlarger has a big fan on it because the lights get so hot. Previously, when using the smaller masks (4x5, 6x6cm) vibration hasn't been a problem. I went all around the enlarger looking for sources of the vibration. The head itself vibrates quite a lot, but again, this has never caused visible vibration on the paper with the smaller masks. I tied up the duct hose going from the head so that it doesn't touch anything, but the vibration is still barely visible.

Strangely, the prints don't look fuzzy to the naked eye. But they MUST be affected by this, right? I was thinking of trying to enlarge some 8x10 negatives, but given how much the image shook when I put a medium format strip in that holder, I wonder if I should even try. (I don't have a lens mounted in a lensboard yet for 8x10 negs.)

My only idea about why the 8x10 glass carrier vibrates so much more than the others is that the others have a sort of hole, like a finger hole, and maybe the air can pass through that hole, whereas with the 8x10 holder there is no hole, so the fan just sucks on the glass and the resistance causes some vibration. (Oops, Eudora doesn't like that word "sucks." I'll probably get some red peppers next to this message. But seriously, bad vibrations suck! Yes, indeed, I have two hot peppers!)

Any suggestions?

--shannon