[pure-silver] Re: bad vibrations

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:29:36 +0100

Richard Knoppow a écrit :

What kind of filter does it have?

It came without a filter, used, very hard apparently, for a long time at a lab here in Houston. There's a sign on it that says "Change the filter weekly" . I asked the guy who helped me set it up where the filter was, but he didn't know, and so I used it until today without a filter. But today was the first day that I've noticed a lot of vibration. Maybe it was always there but I didn't notice.

After I read the message from Rob about how not having a filter might be causing the air to go through too fast, I made a filter from two thicknesses of Swiffer. This slowed down the vibration a lot, but did not completely eliminate it. This makes me think that the problem was the absence of a filter. Maybe tomorrow I'll try printing with three thicknesses of Swiffer, until I can get a real genuine Devere filter or talk to the people there about what kind of filter to use.

To tell the truth, the prints I made today when it was vibrating bad don't look too terrible. I made some others with the same negative and a different enlarger that doesn't have a fan, and tomorrow I'll inspect them with a loupe and see if there is a difference.

--shannon

I Asked this because some types of filter material, like furnace filters, are available at places like Home Depot. These can be cut down to fit. If the original was a foam filter the material is available at stores that sell foam rubber products. Filer foam is porus, usually you can see through it. I found foam for equipment at work where the original filters had disintegrated and the manufacturer did not stock new ones. the stuff comes in sheets of various thicknesses and is not expensive.
The blower you have sounds like a modified vacuum cleaner, perhaps it takes some standard vacuum cleaner filter.

---

Unifilter makes foam filters for motorcycles air-boxes use which can be cut to the right dimension.
These filters are of three types depending the level of filtration required (coarse, medium, fine) and are meant to be oiled (there is a special "sticky" oil for this purpose) to trap dust. Avoid excess of oil !
They can be washed and re-oiled.
I use the fine models for my film dryers.

http://www.unifilter.com/online%20catalog/accessories.html under "Bulk Foam".

Best regards,
Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch