[pure-silver] Re: archival wash in cold water?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 13:05:36 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Nelson" <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:51 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: archival wash in cold water?

That's what I understand as well. Also, Richard has mentioned and I've experienced that insufficient washing will be detected by sepia toning and show up as white spots once toned. I'm using the thiocarbamide version.

Ahh, plumber was apologetic for his tardiness and only charged $100+ lunch and in a rare occurrence the install went unbelievably smoothly with the new unit fitting in w/very little effort needed. Around here that has rarely happened!
I am pretty sure that wash water temperature was covered in research pulbished by Kodak in the 1930's. They published a lot of stuff on fixing and washing around that time. Kodak labs could make printing paper or film as desired. One paper I remember experimented with wash times for the paper support itself without any coatings and with just the baryta coating. I may be able to find the citations but I think the material was covered in Mees's _Theory of the Photographic Process_. Kodak and AGFA knew about the use of alkaline baths to speed up washing at that time but not about the ion-exchange properties of sulfites. Washing gets very slow at low temperatures. High temperature washing was also known but the emulsions of the time were too soft to permit really high temperatures even when hardened with chrome alum. In any case, chrome alum tends to stain the emulsion. This is not important for film but makes the stuff difficult to use for prints. Chrome alum hardeners were used mostly for tropical processing.